Our national governance, legal and compliance professionals offer their expertise in the following areas.
Design and implementation
- Plan design. Designing and drafting plan documentation.
- Development and review of supplementary materials. Reviewing trust, insurance, annuity, letter of credit and pension funding documents and developing employee communication materials.
- Executive compensation plan design. Assisting in the design and funding, where applicable, of executive compensation plans, such as supplemental executive retirement plans (SERPs) and retirement compensation arrangements (RCAs).
- Design and implementation of special projects. Providing help with conversions from defined benefit to defined contribution or shared risk pension plans; pension plan mergers and asset transfers; due diligence related to mergers and acquisitions; surplus recoveries; governance audits and forensic reviews.
Compliance and Administration
- Plan amendments. Amending documents to comply with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Legislative and regulatory updates. Providing guidance on case law and regulatory and industry developments.
- Plan administration. Assisting with all matters relating to plan administration, including marriage breakdowns, benefit entitlements and options, etc.
- Wind Ups. Utilizing our cross-functional teams to wind up both solvent and insolvent employer pension plans.
Good Governance: From Best Practices to Statutory Obligations
- Audits. Auditing plan administration for compliance with statutory requirements, Canadian Association of Pension Supervisory Authorities (CAPSA) Guidelines, regulatory policies, best practices and common-law requirements, as appropriate.
- Governance Policies. Designing comprehensive policies, procedures, and other documents that respond to the various statutory requirements, regulatory guidelines and industry best practices.
- Benchmarking. Benchmarking your governance processes and practices against relevant industry competitors and reporting to you on similarities and differences.
- Governance Review and Gap Analyses. Providing governance reviews to assess your adherence to your policies and procedures and allow you to determine if corrective action or modification is needed.
- Training. Providing training to pension committees, directors, trustees, regulators and other individuals involved in the administration of pension plans on fiduciary and governance matters.