Maximize technology to optimize plan value

Request a demo on implementing employee self-service tools to drive awareness and engagement in benefit, pension, wellness, and other workplace programs.

  • Optimizing productivity in a stressful age

    Remarks by Bill Morneau, Executive Chairman, Morneau Shepell to the HR Summit, December 10, 2013
  • Target benefit plans - Game-changer...?

    In our last Vision, we started a comparison of Defined Contribution (DC) plans versus Target Benefit Plans (TBPs).
  • ROI for EFAP

    This study concludes that employers see significant ROI when helping their employees deal with personal and emotional issues.
  • Closing the retirement income gap

    In-depth analysis of a major pension or benefits issue of long-term significance
  • Measuring the bottom‐line impact of mental health

    Assessing your company’s situation and taking action can pay dividends in the form of higher employee engagement, mitigation of risk and operational efficiency, all of which contribute to improving ROI.

You are here

Knowledge & Insights

Select by category

E.g., Jan 28, 2015
E.g., Jan 28, 2015

Solvency Ratio Could Decline

Jan 27, 2015

There is a 15% probability that a defined benefit pension plan with a solvency ratio of 85 per cent at the end of 2014 could see that ratio drop to less than 81% in 2015, due solely to interest-rate risk, says a Morneau Shepell "News &...

Single in retirement? How it can hurt your bottom line

Jan 26, 2015

According to 2014 numbers from Statistics Canada’s key socioeconomic database, 628,816 men and 1,600,643 women between 65 and 95 were either separated, divorced, widowed or had always been single.

Pension plans’ financial position: looking at 2014 and 2015 from a risk management standpoint

Jan 22, 2015

After 2013, which was an excellent year for most pension plans in terms of their financial position, 2014 was mixed.

Untraceable Plan Members and Beneficiaries – penalties in Quebec after March 31, 2015

Jan 22, 2015

Most Canadian provinces have mechanisms that allow financial institutions to remit amounts to a government body when the owner of the amount is untraceable or estates are not claimed.

Morneau Shepell’s pension database – 2014 edition

Jan 22, 2015

Morneau Shepell maintains a comprehensive database on all of the DB pension plans for which the firm is the valuation actuary.

Tracking the funded status of pension plans as at December 31, 2014

Jan 22, 2015

The evolution of the financial situation of pension plans since December 31, 2013

Ontario government consults on key design features of the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan

Jan 22, 2015

On December 17, 2014, the Ontario government released a consultation paper on the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan ("ORPP") titled "Ontario Retirement Pension Plan: Key Design Questions" (the "Consultation Paper")...

Impact on pension expense under international accounting as at December 31, 2014

Jan 22, 2015

Every year, companies must establish an expense for their defined benefit pension plans.

Alberta amends new Employment Pension Plans Regulation

Jan 22, 2015

The new Employment Pension Plans Act and the related Employment Pension Plans Regulation (the "Regulation") came into force in the province of Alberta on September 1, 2014...

Median Return 10.8 Per Cent

Jan 22, 2015

Diversified pooled fund managers posted a median return of 2.1 per cent before management fees, says Morneau Shepell’s ‘Performance Universe of Pension Managers' Pooled Funds’ for the fourth quarter of 2014...